Monday, May 14, 2007


On Belfast and Turning 30…

I went to Belfast last Wednesday to see my sister. I was so excited to see her, to hang out with family, to be around a familiar person. We only spent two days together, but those two days rejuvenated me, and gave me renewed strength… (Thanks, Laura!)

Our magnificent host Ollie dutifully took us to his local watering hole (the infamous Bot), introduced us to his buddies, and gave us a consolidated history lesson of Belfast. We took a taxi tour through the Catholic and Protestant neighbourhoods of West Belfast. Looking at the peace wall that separates the areas (the gates are still closed at night), you realize just how recent the violent history is. The murals are compelling (and quite militant) and the fortifications on the houses near the wall (steel barriers to prevent damage from flying bricks) remind you that the current peace is still quite tenuous.

This is not ancient history -- this is now. When we got out of the taxi on the Protestant side to take pictures, Ollie commented that a few years back, he wouldn’t even have gotten out of the car. Everyone I talked to had a family member or friend who had been affected by the “troubles.”


My sister left on Friday, and on Saturday, I met up with Diana and Tom, who drove up to celebrate Tom’s father’s 60th birthday party. The party was great fun, with good food and people and music.

At about 12:20am, I was chatting with a friend of the family when she casually asked me how old I was. I shyly replied, “actually, as of about 20 minutes ago, I’m officially 30.” This sparked a bit of hoopla (which I had been sort of trying to avoid), and it was decided that my birthday needed to be marked in some way. The result was a few shots of vodka, and a photo (below) to commemorate the moment. Personally, I thought using the bananas to form the 3 (Diana’s idea) was a stroke of genius…



So how do I feel now that I’m 30? Hard to say. Not that different, really. I’m still unsure about where exactly I’m going. And it’s still a lonely journey. But I’m feeling more motivated now, and I have a feeling that it won’t be long before I’m back in action…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home