Monday, May 07, 2007



Dublin – A Brief (and Overdue) Synopsis

Apologies for the radio silence... the last 3 weeks have been a bit of a blur. I admit that I have done a lot of relaxing, reading and generally being a slug, but I have actually managed to get out and do things somewhere in there…

Dublin is a busy and cool city. It’s very walkable, safe, and quite pleasant. Though it’s not a hot-bed of architectural treasures, there’s definitely a sense of history that permeates. Because Dublin is becoming a hip (and expensive) international city, you occasionally get a feeling of cosmopolitan growing pains: fashionable bars nestle into the banks of the Liffey River among the traditional Irish pubs – but Guinness is always to be had.

There’s been plenty to do around here. Among other things, I’ve touched a mummified body at St. Michan’s, crawled through a subterranean tunnel at Knowth, admired graffiti from 1808 (no kidding) in the neolithic passage grave at Newgrange, chatted with a man at Christ Church about the floor tiles and the Franciscan-Benedictine monk rivalry, walked along the cliffs in Howth, and chewed roasted barley at the Guinness Brewery. And yes, I’ve had a few pints here and there.

Last weekend Diana and Tom and I went to Donegal, which I will do a separate entry about, and this week I’m off to Belfast for a couple days to see my sister – I can’t wait!

A sampling of photographs are below (when I get myself together, I’ll put up a proper slideshow of everything I have).











And on the continuing plans…

The hardest thing when I meet people is when they ask me how long I’m here for, or what I’m doing. I can’t seem to find an adequate answer. One guy put it well when he said that I was like the subplot of a comic book – in the “Meanwhile…” phase. I liked that.

I’m still working out some plans for the fall… Grad school? Back to Spain? Something else? The irons are in the fire, and I’ll let you know what happens.

I’m also starting to hatch some evil schemes for volunteer work in the summer – I’m thinking Iceland.

More to come on that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Ooh I love Newgrange and how scary it is to realize that people in the 1800s were also idiots defacing national historic monuments. GAWD!

I missed you last Friday, don't know if it was you or me, but hope that you were up to something more exciting than I was.

Have a great time in Belfast and if you have a car, I highly recommend checking out Bangor (a little seaside town nearby Belfast) and even more so if you have the time going up the coast to Antrim to see the Giant's causeway and surrounding area. It's amazing.

But in Belfast be sure to find out how to get to the murals in the Catholic suburbs (a tourist guide is the best way to find out, not all the locals are so keen on encouraging people to go there) -- there are all these incredible murals about the "troubles" including one connecting Northern Ireland to Catalonia!

Anyway, have a great trip and look forward to more pictures and updates! xo Lizifer

5/07/2007 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home