Friday, March 16, 2007

A Religious Experience?

When you sit in the Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar, you can understand why people would feel religious fervour... the place is impressively stunning (see the link for pics). And Wednesday's performance of Mozart's Requiem in the Basilica was probably the closest I will ever get to a religious experience.

The performance itself wasn't spectacular (the choir lacked the necessary power, and the pace occasionally raced like a runaway train), but the combination of the location, the acoustics, and one of my absolute favourite pieces of music made it completely worthwhile. It was especially poignant because I've been listening to that requiem a fair bit since my grandfather passed away a few weeks ago.

I usually get strange looks when I go to the symphony, because I bob my head to the music as if it were a rock concert. It's probably terribly uncouth of me, but I can't help it. I was delighted to discover that Luca's friend Jesus, who was sitting next to me, did the exact same thing.

I resisted the urge, however, to pump my fist in the air and make devil horns with my fingers... Do you think it would have been too much?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home