Wednesday, January 24, 2007

And just like that -- I'm suddenly busy...

I've only been in this country three weeks, and I suddenly feel insanely busy. I've spent today running around, hoping I'll make it to the next place in time for my class/appointment/whatever... How does this happen to me?

Here's the lowdown on everything that's been going on...

The work situation:
I've had an amazing amount of luck with the job search -- getting positive responses on the first day I started handing out resumes.

I've managed to get classes at a couple schools. The first is a smaller institute, where I have one class with 3 students. I feel pretty good about the class (well, today I do -- I think they actually had fun in tonight's class), and the director has been really good about giving me personal attention and guidance. I think it's a good environment for a new teacher like me.

The other school is a larger academy. They've given me a couple of one-on-one classes, and it looks like they're lining up one or two more for me. The advantage of this place is that there will be more opportunities to pick up classes.

So all in all, I'm up to about 9 or 10 hours of class a week, which is way better than I had expected.

The living situation:
I'm finally starting to look for a room to rent, and hoping that I can stay in the same neighbourhood, as it's lovely, and within walking distance of both of the schools. I've seen a couple of places, but nothing that has amazed me just yet.

And who could forget the social life?
I've met two other Canadians (one is a fellow teacher), and I've been spending some time with them, but I'm still trying to figure out how to break through the Catalunyan coldness and make some honest-to-goodness Barcelona friends.

Last weekend, the teachers from the smaller institute went to an Indian restaurant on a street off of La Rambla. The area was pretty sketchy, and we all went for a beer first at a bar down the street. We'd been there about 5 minutes when the power went out all the way down the block. 5 minutes after that, 4 cop cars went screaming by the window. My favourite part was that no one batted an eyelash -- we all just kept drinking our beer and chatting in the dark.

There's a little bar in the plaza near Carmen's place, which I've chosen as my spot to go when I need to write or read with a beer. The second time I went there, the guy behind the bar (Mexican, incidentally) said, so, are you moving in here, or what?

I feigned shock, but it was nice to be recognized and remembered...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home