Friday, April 13, 2007

Everything Was Beautiful, and Nothing Hurt

Some sad news this week.... Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., passed away on Wednesday.

I mention this because Vonnegut has always been one of my favourite authors. An inspiration in his witty and sarcastic ability to expose a stark and often painful truth, his novels have a special place in my heart. In fact, on Wednesday night, by complete coincidence, Diana and I were talking about Slaughterhouse Five.

Whenever people play the game of Who would you have dinner with, living or dead? my answer is always the same: Kurt Vonnegut. I'd make steamed artichokes. We'd laugh a lot, and he would help me with the dishes. I've always liked the answer, because it seemed somehow plausible.

When I mentioned Vonnegut's death to Diana, she informed me that we went to high school with his grandson. How had I not known this?

We are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home